Monday, December 8, 2008

Letter to Vassar

To Whom it May Concern,
My name is Austin Murphy, and I graduated from Vassar in 2005. Although I was not an English major, I took many classes in the department, and I'd have to say that Composition and Narrative Writing were my favorite. My interest in writing has led to my pursuit of a Masters at Teachers College, Columbia University in the Teaching of English. I am eager to share my passion for reading and writing with my students, a passion that might not have blossomed had I not been able to take these writing courses at Vassar. The Vassar Creative Writing program changed my life, and I am incredibly dismayed to hear that you are considering doing away with it.
The Vassar I remember was a place where creativity was valued, where kids who were smart but a bit "off-beat" went to share their unique perspective with others, to invest time and energy in pursuits that were more about discovering their life passions than preparing for a big post-graduation payday. Please have the courage to stand up for the Vassar I remember. Financial difficulties come and go, but the character of an institution lasts. Don't make the mistake of turning Vassar into just another degree factory. I will not be proud to have graduated from that Vassar.
Thanks for reading.
Sincerely,
Austin Murphy
Vassar '05