Wednesday, December 24, 2008

2008 Music


It seems like every music magazine or person who thinks they know anything about music is making a top whatever-number-I-feel-like list of best music in 2008. I thought about doing that too, but then I considered how dumb it is to rank something subjective like music. Also how can I make a ranking of all music in 2008 when there's so much I haven't heard? Music bloggers, take heed - you're on my "what the hell do you think you're doing??" list.

So instead of doing that, I thought I'd just share some music I like from the year 2008 with my vast readership of two (I've heard rumors of a third reader, but I don't want to get my hopes up). I recently heard "Microcastle" by Deerhunter, a band I long resisted because their name is so similar to Deerhoof, a band that I liked first. Also, Deerhunter's lead singer is absurdly thin (he has something called Marfan syndrome) and not pleasant to imagine caterwauling on stage.

BUT their music is great. They kind of remind me of the Velvet Underground, and I'm sure their sound isn't terribly original, but they've got a kind of nice slow burn to their music that feels good and bad at the same time. Here's some 30-second samples of every track, and if you like it, I'll get you more.

Another album whenever I feel like posting again. And now, the search for Santa begins...

No comments: